Wednesday, December 26, 2012

It Wasn’t the End of the World

But it is now the end of the year. Friday night (12/21/12) Zach and I ate our “last meal” and watched Armageddon. Now I’m reflecting on previous posts about what I hoped to accomplish this year. Sidenote: Armageddon is a ridiculous movie. I love watching it, and yes, I shed a few tears, but geez the explosions and small town America symbolism are oozing from this film. Also, I will always love the song I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing. Forever.

As I looked back on the year I was able to do everything I hoped, basically. Grew my hair out, check, got back into the classroom, check, moved closer to work, check, got a bike, check (riding it wasn’t actually on the list, so it happens sporadically). I watched all the movies I wanted to see, read over 70 books, went to workshops, and in the end, I’ve decided for the time being I don’t need a camera when I have Instagram on my phone because it makes everything look awesome.

If anyone is wondering how on earth I managed to read over 70 books since last January 1st there were two ingredients essential to my success: my severe underemployment for the majority of the year and my possession of a library card.

There are some things I attempted and let go of that I need to pick back up. Like finishing my Spanish course on LiveMocha (I got all the way to Unit 2 of Level 4, the highest level, before burning out). I also learned the majority of the Hebrew Alphabet and could read substantial amounts of text (with about 8% understanding of what I was reading) but as they say, I didn’t continue using it so I lost it. That’s a paraphrase, they don’t actually say that.

I also memorized the capitals and countries of Europe, Asia, North and South America and then Africa stumped me. I couldn’t wrap my mind around it. I never even got to Australia. So I need to pick that back up too. This time I’m just going to stick to countries and capitals and leave off the rivers, water bodies, and mountain ranges. It was a bit much.

Did this in Christine seem ambitious? Yes, yes it did.

So 2012 proved to be a year of many successes and some disappointments. I’m sure it was the same for you and it will be the same for all of us next year. But I want to end on a high note.

In 2012 I was really good at being Zach’s wife. We really like each other, and it’s awesome.

In 2012 I didn’t give up, I took the initiative, pounded the pavement, and got myself a job.

2012-10-19_1350677859

In 2012 I made new friends. And we all know friends are what get you through the day.

In 2012 we got our first Christmas tree and made homemade ornaments. I also carved my first pumpkin for Halloween.

2012-10-31_1351652178

In 2012 I was loved by my amazing friends and family, which really helped a lot.

In 2012 I bought a trench coat (on sale!) and I feel classy every time I wear it.

In 2012 I was accepted into a Montessori teacher training program. I didn’t begin the program because I got a public school job instead, but knowing I got accepted feels pretty good.

In 2012 I learned to bake bread from scratch, and it’s quite delicious if I do say so myself. Must make more.

In 2012 I visited Donalyn Miller’s classroom and she is fantastic.

In 2012 I started drinking water all the time. And I drink tea now, which is a big deal for me.

In 2012 I learned a great deal about myself. A very great deal.

2012-07-10_1341937382

So there’s my 12 of ‘12. I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment